Monday, July 14, 2008

Its All About The Attitude

I've had a few frustration points in my life recently. In the case of all of them, it was a perfect storm of lots of little things in a specific area building up over time and bubbling over into a few "I can't take this anymore" type of thoughts.

I had a long discussion with Troy (hubby) about them, and he gave me some great advice while we were riding the bus back from NYC last weekend. The advice was simple:

"Don't Care As Much"

In the week that followed, I looked at some of the situations and people that were frustrating me so greatly. And I realized that the most frustrating thing about these people and situations were that they weren't going to change. And I couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Before Troy dispensed his sage advice, I would have spent hours of frustrated effort trying to improve the person or situations around me. My anger and frustration and stress growing by the minute.

Now I've come to realize that its ok to not have everything around me perfect. That "good" can get you through the day. That in the whole big scheme of things, spending more time with my son, and working on my own projects is smarter, easier and less stressful than killing myself over something I can't control.

I was mortified my last annual review at AOL netted me a "Meets Expectations" grade (3 out 5, received by 85% of employees) . It was the first time I was not graded "outstanding" (5 out of 5) since they started doing those reviews in the late 90s. The new me wouldn't be mortified. I'd be pleased that I spent those extra hours with the two people I love the most, enjoying my life.

In the end, isn't that the right attitude? Isn't that what its all about?

No comments: