Sunday, July 13, 2008

New York State of Mind

Just got back from New York City. Again.

I had a great time this past weekend, hanging with my 4 friends from high school. We played native New Yorkers and ate at some great local places. We also played tourists and took the Circle Line boat around the southern part of Manhattan and under the Statue of Liberty. I haven't been near Lady Liberty since junior high and I had forgotten what an amazing place it was.

I traveled on the Megabus again. Unlike last time where I paid a whopping $6.00 for my ticket, this weekend, I paid $2.50. Roundtrip! Woo hoo! We ran into some glitches on the way up. First was traffic (of course). The teeny-tiny State of Delaware must be using its entire GDP to tear up I-95 because it was a parking lot from the Maryland border all the way over the Delaware Memorial Bridge. And then, once we got on the Jersey Turnpike, the bus driver pulled over. Unexpectedly. Told us that she had driven too many hours and was waiting for another bus driver to be delivered by company car to relieve her. Now note that this didn't occur because we were so delayed that she was on the road longer than expected. Oh no. She ran out of time well before our planned arrival time in NYC. We sat for 35mins waiting. Then, after getting back on the road again, we got stuck in one of those legendary 45min backups through the Lincoln Tunnel. After all was said and done, we arrived 1.5 hours late into the city.

The way back was better. We only had some smoking tires to deal with, but only had to wait 10 mins for a new bus to arrive. But the bus driver was intent on showing the movie Lake Placid 2 on the bus. It was a horror movie, obviously rated "R" and yet there was some kids on the bus. Very odd. And the movie was a train wreck. Thankfully not a bus wreck though. Even with the dang Delaware traffic, ony 20 mins late.

In the end, even with the delays, I would still travel megabus again. So cheap, really convenient, and takes as long as driving without the exorbitant parking fees!

I wish I was staying in NY for a few more games. The All Star game is at Yankee Stadium in its final year. I would have liked to be there for that.

At this rate, it will be a while before I head back to the Big Apple, but the last two weekends made memories that will last me for a while...

No comments: