Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How to Disguise Chicken

I think I should write a book on how to disguise chicken. I'm dieting by doing the lo-carb thing, and so chicken has become a mainstay in my diet. Troy is perfectly happy just plopping a bunch of chicken meat down on his plate and calling it a meal. I, however, need to be more clever in disguising the flesh.

On a low-carb diet, you are theoretically supposed to stick to about 20g of carbs a day. Spread out over 3 meals, this means I go for chicken disguises of 5g carbs or less. My favorites:

1. Salad dressing
The bolder the salad dressing the better. Look for something about 2-3g of carbs per serving (generally 2tblsp in size). That way, 4 tablespoons of dressing can be applied to the chicken to make it stop tasting like chicken! That's a TON of dressing. If you rotisserie a chicken or marinade it so the chicken has some flavor, then a complementary dressing is great, and, extra bonus, less dressing is needed. My personal disguise dressing is Brianna's Chipotle Cheddar. Looking at their website tells me I'll have to try some more of those!

2. Salsa and Sour Cream
When you eat a chicken taco, you wrap chicken, lettuce, cheese, salsa and sour cream in a tortilla and call it a meal. So take the tortilla out of it. Cut out the need to shred some lettuce and cheese and voila! Low-carb heaven. I love salsa and sour cream mixed together. To me, its as good as peanut butter and chocolate or wine and cheese. So how can this NOT make chicken yummy?? Add some extra zing with a little sprinkle of cayenne in the mixture.

3. Bruschetta
After saying I'm too lazy to shred some lettuce for #2, I'm *not* advocating making your own bruschetta here. Costco sells some really tasty brushcetta in a jar. Just watch the carb count on this one. Its up near 7-8 for 1/10th of the jar. The jar is honking-big so I'm not sure I could even eat 1/10th of it. But I do hate when they measure in that way. I mean, am I suppose to empty the whole jar into 10 even piles of tomato-y goodness in order to figure out how much that is?!?

I don't think anyone actually reads my blog, because I haven't told anyone about it, but if you are reading and can think of some other good disguises of the low-carb variety, let me know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I like to disguise chicken with a little dog meat... black dog specifically. They have to be young and plump. HA HA HA HA HA, just kidding! Mr. Vegas would taste awful I bet... although he isn't black. Oh well!

Anonymous said...

Good words.