Tuesday, January 15, 2008

On One-Upmanship

I know a few people who are constant one-uppers. Not only have they had the same experience as you, but somehow, some way, their experience is grander, more extreme, more magical, more memorable, more humorous. Just more.

After a lot of thinking, I think this is motivated by low self-esteem and a high degree of neediness. Overall, a bad combination. Their lack of self worth compels them to dish out exaggerated stories that make them look good, or interesting. Their high degree of neediness makes them need the constant validation that these stories bring.

I suppose that all these people started off in a different place, but then grew to realize their crazy stories brought them attention and approval.

I'm glad I'm not like that. At least I don't think I am. Look at me looking for validation.

Anyway, that's my thought for this morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah and most of them have gone to MIT. In my experience I have met two people that went to MIT and BOTH of them were like that! That would be 100% for those scoring at home. One was a fat slob, loser developer who couldn't develop his way out of a paper bag (unless it was filled with cupcakes - then he'd eat his way out) and the other was a worthless clown of a woman who I wonder got through life! The latter is a politician now. Figures.